Saturday, May 3, 2008

Library School

I have to say that not everyone at the library is pleased about my apprenticeship. Take Monica (as I shall call her). She is one of these oh-so-cool hipster librarians who wears black frame glasses and vintage clothes and thinks she can look down her nose at me just because she has an MLS and a superior command of the Dewey Decimal system. On Friday she saw me stamping due date cards (yes, again), and remarked that it was a mere clerical task and had nothing to do with what professional librarians do, and wondered why Mr. Phillips made me practice such a menial action so obsessively. I told her I didn't know but I trusted that Mr. Phillips, being the great librarian that he is, must have had some very good reason for making me practice due date stamping. Then she shrugged and made some comment about how it was highly unexpected that Mr. Phillips chose me to be his apprentice when I hadn't even gone to library school. She didn't come right out and say it, but I know that Monica is jealous and feels that the situation is unfair. The way I see it, though, Mr. Phillips is putting me through his own unique version of library school. I don't know why he chose me, though. I'm not one to question good fortune, but it does make me a little curious. Perhaps I'll ask him about it on Monday.

No comments: