Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Dream Come True

Today Mr. Phillips finally gave me his response to my work on the GPS. Even though I had long since stopped caring about the project, I couldn't help feeling a bit nervous when he called me into his office to discuss it. I sat facing him across his large wooden desk and braced myself. Mr. Phillips looked at me intently.

"Brilliant!" he said.

I was stunned. "Really?"

"Absolutely brilliant! I knew you were the right man for the job!"

I had no idea how he "knew" this, since I knew nothing whatsoever about classification at the start of the project (and more or less made it up as I went along), but I knew that to point this out to Mr. Phillips would have been, well, pointless.

"I believe," he stated, sounding more tremblingly excited than I had ever known him to be, "that you and I, Curtis, will emerge victorious in Class War! We have created the Phillips-[my last name] Greater Perfect System!"

At this point I was reminded of my dream where Mr. Phillips shouted, "I have achieved perfection!" Uncanny.

Well, I must admit I do feel relieved, though I'm afraid that if the GPS does not win first prize, Mr. Phillips will be terribly crushed. It also makes me feel torn about entering my own idea into the contest, even though I would have absolutely no expectation of it actually winning. The judges would surely think it was a joke, and in truth it isn't meant to be completely serious. The only way it would stand any kind of chance is if Ivan Large were one of the judges.

No comments: